PlanetScale offers two deployment options to accommodate your application and business needs: multi-tenancy and single-tenancy.
Multi-tenancy — In a multi-tenant environment, your database is hosted on infrastructure shared with other users/customers. Single-tenancy — In a single-tenant environment, your database is hosted on dedicated infrastructure that is not shared with any other users/customers.
Your deployment options depend on the PlanetScale plan you choose. This documentation covers some differences between single-tenancy and multi-tenancy so you can evaluate which plan may be suitable for you. For an in-depth look at the different plans we offer, see the PlanetScale plans documentation.
Multi-tenancy is the default deployment option. When you sign up for a PlanetScale account, whether on a Hobby, Scaler, or Scaler Pro plan, your databases will be created in our multi-tenancy deployment offering. Our Enterprise plan also offers a multi-tenancy deployment option.
- Your database runs on PlanetScale's secure cloud infrastructure
- Lowest cost plans
- No configuration requirements on your end
Single-tenant deployment options are available with PlanetScale Enterprise. Companies that require their PlanetScale databases to be hosted in a single-tenant environment have two options: Enterprise — Single-tenant and Managed.
In both options, your database is deployed in a single-tenant environment. The main difference between Enterprise — Single-tenant and Managed is who owns the underlying account. With Managed, your database is deployed in your own AWS/GCP account. With Enterprise — Single-tenant, PlanetScale owns and manages the account.
If you're interested in learning more, please reach out and we can figure out the best solution for your use case.
- Your resources run on a separate isolated AWS or GCP account, apart from other customers
- Your databases can be deployed to any cloud provider region you choose that offers three Availability Zones, even regions that PlanetScale does not offer on our self-serve plans
- You can continue to use the PlanetScale UI and CLI in the same way that you would our general self-serve offerings, but the infrastructure runs in an isolated environment
- BAAs available for HIPAA compliance
- In the Managed offering where you own the account, you have private database connectivity via:
If you have any questions about which deployment option may be best for you, reach out to us and we can help you figure it out.