A battle-hardened open source technology hosting some of the largest sites on the Internet.
Vitess is the cloud-native, open source technology powering PlanetScale.
Transparent horizontal sharding allows for an unlimited number of database shards without adding complexity to your application.Watch the introduction to Vitess
Vitess’s primary replica configuration allows for seamless failover from a primary to a replica when unexpected events occur.See Sugu introduce VTOrc
Migrate your existing MySQL applications with minimal changes while leveraging your MySQL expertise to achieve massive scale.Build a Wordpress backend with Vitess
Online schema migrations
Integration with `pt-online-schema-change` and `gh-ost` makes it easy to track, control, or cancel schema migrations within a simple interface.View the Online DDL demo
Define materialized views that update continuously or perform real-time rollups and data transformation without impacting your databases.Real-time rollups within VReplication
Developed at YouTube to run on Borg, the inspiration for Kubernetes, Vitess is ideally suited for running databases in Kubernetes.Learn how Vitess is cloud-native
- Enabled ‘near unlimited scale’ for Cash App
- Only 5% of the system had to be changed to implement Vitess
- 10 shard splits a week with less than 1 second of downtime
- ~500,000 queries per second at peak times
- ~20 billion total queries per day
- Added connection latency with Vitess is only around 1 millisecond on average
- Upgrades went from days to 2 hours
- Downtime now lasts seconds instead of minutes
- Doubled production load and number of databases with same team size
Don’t want to deal with setting up or managing Vitess?
Deploy Vitess on your projects with the confidence that you’re not going it alone.