We are the first serverless database platform designed specifically with the developer in mind. Our products are loved by developers, builders, scalers, and creators alike. We harness the power of open source allowing unlimited scaling. No one else combines scalability and the developer experience like we do.
The database market is the most sought after in the VC space and is projected to be a $60 billion business by the end of 2022. The pace of innovation is mind-blowing. The opportunity is massive.
Created by the people who built the infrastructure at YouTube, PayPal, Dropbox, and GitHub. PlanetScale is a series C start-up with over $100 million in funding raised; and backed by leading VC companies like a16z, SignalFire, Insight Partners, and Kleiner Perkins.
PlanetScale has always been a remote first company. We grew up in the COVID era, were born in the cloud, and are effective at sustaining a remote first culture.
We are just getting started!
Why PlanetScale Sales?
PlanetScale's Sales team is passionate about understanding our customer's unique needs. We help enterprises redefine their infrastructure while considering modern developer workflows. Our team is mission focused with clear goals, high standards for performance, offer a well defined prospecting process, and are committed to making every individual successful. We are an emerging Sales organization with our sights set on building a world class GTM machine.
This is a unique opportunity to be a high-impact, early member of the Sales team for a thriving product. You will be responsible to engage, nurture and close customers to achieve your revenue goal. As an early member of our sales organization, you will play a key role in laying the foundations for our future success. We are looking for high caliber sales people who thrive when goals are given to them along with the freedom to achieve them.
What's the job to be done?
- You will focus on selling through different channels that will generate, engage, and close leads.
- You will identify and prioritize key partnerships to sell with and sell through.
- You will be responsible for building a business case and engaging our product engineering team to evaluate the feasibility/timing of each strategic partnership.
- You will run the full sales cycle, end to end, by working directly with decision makers in the software development and security space.
- You will work closely with Sales leadership align with our marketing and product teams to influence our sales process, tone and approach.
These attributes best describe you...
- You thrive in a collaborative, team environment.
- You are willing to jump into a rapidly scaling startup environment and build new teams, process and functions within the org.
- You are a creative problem solver that provides innovation in a team environment.
- You are highly organized and able to operate in ambiguous or changing situations
- You thrive in an environment of cross-department collaboration.
- You exhibit an ambitious approach, and start-up/dive-right-in mentality.
- You want to work in a fast-moving rocketship, own and design programs, and make a significant impact on the success of the business.
- You demonstrate a positive, go-getter attitude.
- You are a self-starting, enthusiastic individual who is willing to take innovative approaches and responsibility for outcomes.
What you will need
- 2-3 years of sales experience in a closing role
- 2-3 years of relevant work experience
- Technology sales experience a must
- Infrastructure database sales experience is preferred
- Proven ability to sell technical products to senior decision makers
- Prior experience selling to teams of developers and comfortable with bottom up and top down selling motions
- Prior experience selling to engineering and infrastructure teams
- Proven track record of hitting and exceeding your quota
- Ability to effectively navigate accounts and map to decision makers
- Ability to effectively position value in sales conversations
- Consistently follows sales processes including discovery, opportunity management, forecasting
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral
- Excellent presentation skills
- Proven product knowledge from previous roles
What else will help you be successful
- Experience selling cloud databases or complex infrastructure solutions
- Experience with working with an all remote team
- Experience in a Sales organization being built from the ground up
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!