We are the first serverless database platform designed specifically with the developer in mind. Our products are loved by developers, builders, scalers, and creators alike. We harness the power of open source allowing unlimited scaling. No one else combines scalability and the developer experience like we do.
The database market is the most sought after in the VC space and is projected to be a $60 billion business by the end of 2022. The pace of innovation is mind-blowing. The opportunity is massive.
Created by the people who built the infrastructure at Twitter, Instagram, GitHub, and Slack. PlanetScale is a series C start-up with over $100 million in funding raised; and backed by leading VC companies like a16z, SignalFire, Insight Partners, and Kleiner Perkins.
We are just getting started!
PlanetScale is looking for a highly organized, motivated, forward thinking self-starter to lead our global Sales Development team. This position will be a key member of our sales leadership team. You will strike a balance between mentoring the team, scaling the team and our processes, building strategy, and achieving sales objectives. This position will collaborate with our Marketing and Sales organizations to devise the best tactics to increase demand generation and set KPIs. You’ll have the ability to have control over business decisions that impact our inbound and outbound prospective pipeline build.
What’s the job to be done?
- Attract, hire, develop, and retain top talent
- Implement and manage productivity goals, objectives and incentives
- Work with sales management to align on pipeline strategy, goals and processes
- Work across our Sales and Marketing teams to identify target sectors, accounts and key messaging
- Drive high performance and achieve or exceed team daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly goals
- Develop and execute new strategies for prospecting and outbound efforts that can be scaled across the Sales Development Representative (SDR) team
- Assist in sales enablement by developing and delivering curriculum for sales development trainings and best practices
- Manage the execution of the overall strategy for obtaining more inbound and outbound prospecting pipeline
- Align with marketing and sales leaders and teams to strategically and predictably fill pipeline with qualified prospects and customers for their territories
- Ensure the sales development KPIs are being hit on a weekly and monthly basis by conducting regular assessment of progress regarding weekly and monthly forecasts
- Responsible for coaching and training the SDR talent track by monitoring people in line for promotion and enabling others to progress in their career
- Work strategically with Demand Generation to create prospecting and ABM campaigns
- Manage and coordinate the tactical and strategic direction of SDRs engaged in promoting and selling enterprise solutions
- Upgrade current sales techniques or procedures based on team performance
- Monitor, support and coach sales development representatives with cold calling, prospecting, follow-up calls and booking meetings
- Conduct performance management reviews to ensure direct reports are developing and that goals and expectations are aligned
These attributes best describe you…
- You are passionate about training, coaching and helping people develop
- You have a strong work ethic, are motivated, and desire to continually learn and grow
- You thrive in a collaborative, team environment
- You are willing to jump into a rapidly scaling startup environment and build new teams, process and functions within the org
- You are a creative problem solver that identifies new and innovative ways to drive growth
- You are an analytical thinker using data to drive decision making
What you will need
- 5+ years leading and growing a sales development team in SaaS space, or other start-up technology environments
- Consistent track record of exceeding targets as an individual contributor and leader
- Prior experience in sales management, aggressive cold/warm calling, and prospecting
- Prior experience managing and growing lead gen teams
- Experience hiring junior level sales roles
- Prior experience working for a tech company, preferably selling to a technical audience
- Desire to work in a competitive and fast-paced environment
- Strong experience working with sales technology: Salesforce, Zoominfo, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, Outreach, Gong
- Experience building and driving effective pipeline generation strategies
- Outstanding communication, organizational and time management skills
- Excellent presentation and listening skills; ability to communicate effectively with senior leaders
- Must be able to thrive and adapt to change in a very fast paced environment
- Excellent follow up skills and professionalism
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently and motivate a team.
- Management of pipelines, territories, forecasting and processes.
- Experience with hiring, coaching, and mentoring new to career sales talent
What else will help you be successful
- Experience with working with an all remote team
- Experience in a Sales organization being built from the ground up
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!