We are the first serverless database platform designed specifically with the developer in mind. Our products are loved by developers, builders, scalers, and creators alike. We harness the power of open source allowing unlimited scaling. No one else combines scalability and the developer experience like we do.
The database market is the most sought after in the VC space and is projected to be a $60 billion business by the end of 2022. The pace of innovation is mind-blowing. The opportunity is massive.
Created by the people who built the infrastructure at Twitter, Instagram, GitHub, and Slack. PlanetScale is a series C start-up with over $100 million in funding raised; and backed by leading VC companies like a16z, SignalFire, Insight Partners, and Kleiner Perkins.
We are just getting started!
We believe that building a product developers love doesn’t just mean stacking up as many features as we can, but putting in the work to craft beautiful, functional, and powerful tools that people want to use.
That’s where you come in - the role of a Growth Engineer at PlanetScale is multifaceted and will change from day-to-day. At the core, you’ll be working to build things that help our users become more successful. Whether that’s new onboarding flows, tweaks to existing systems, or designing entirely new features based on what the data is showing. No detail is too small, and nothing isn’t worth doing if it makes our customers more successful and our features more useful.
In this role, you’ll be partnering with leaders across the company - helping marketing and sales understand success, working inside of engineering teams to ensure our features are being built in a way that users can succeed with, and more. At a fast-moving startup, there is never too much care that we can make to ensure that we’re taking our users with us as we build and grow the company.
If this sounds like an interesting challenge, we have the job for you.
What's the job to be done?
- You’ll be the primary point of contact between Marketing and Engineering as we plan and build the PlanetScale product
- You’ll be on the hook for building new features, modifying existing features, and maintaining a high standard of quality across the product
- You will establish data collecting and reporting systems best practices
These attributes describe you...
- You have a drive for getting the best out of people by creating collaborative, creative and safe teams that are empowered to ship software
- You have an understanding of how to navigate a bit of chaos - we are a growing company, and you feel comfortable decreasing ambiguity and creating alignment
- You create a high productivity, high autonomy environment that rewards excellent work and provides the tools and support to back it up. We don’t leave our teammates to fend for themselves, or send them on aimless expeditions
- You and your colleagues are committed to helping you achieve your potential, holding you accountable, and making sure that you always know where you stand.
- You value the growth and opportunity that comes with working at an early-stage, fast-paced startup. This doesn’t mean stress and overwork, but the opportunity to work in and around every function of the business, and learn from some of the best.
What you will need
- A history of building and maintaining data collecting and reporting systems that can be trusted to be correct, and provide insights that power big decisions
- A background in full stack web technologies (Ruby/Rails, React, etc) deployed at scale
- Experience working across multiple functions of the business, such as Marketing and Sales
What else will help you be successful
- Experience working on or managing an all-remote team
- Exposure to relational databases at scale
- A knack for threading multiple disciplines to build a more successful product
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!