We are the first serverless database platform designed specifically with the developer in mind. Our products are loved by developers, builders, scalers, and creators alike. We harness the power of open source allowing unlimited scaling. No one else combines scalability and the developer experience like we do.
The database market is the most sought after in the VC space and is projected to be a $60 billion business by the end of 2022. The pace of innovation is mind-blowing. The opportunity is massive.
Created by the people who built the infrastructure at Twitter, Instagram, GitHub, and Slack. PlanetScale is a series C start-up with over $100 million in funding raised; and backed by leading VC companies like a16z, SignalFire, Insight Partners, and Kleiner Perkins.
We are just getting started!
We build our platform on top of Vitess, built by our co-founders at YouTube and Google. We also provide enterprise support for customers running Vitess in their environment.
To support both our cloud platform and enterprise customers, the Customer Engineering team leads the way. We are looking for more Enterprise Support Engineers to join our team.
What else will help you be successful
- You will advise and handle support requests from enterprise customers on the PlanetScale platform.
- You will become a customer-facing subject-matter expert for enterprise customers on the PlanetScale platform.
- You will identify product gaps in a customer-specific context and work with Technical Account Management, Engineering and Sales Engineering teams to prioritize and escalate them.
- You will be part of an on call rotation for high priority issues.
These attributes best describe you…
- You have excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills; with a mix of enough experience and intuition to zero in on root-causes for bugs that can leave others stumped.
- You are comfortable stepping outside your comfort zone. Be it delving into unfamiliar code in Vitess, one of its dependencies, or a random MySQL connector, written in a language you may not know (yet!). Working with code as your main source of documentation doesn't fluster you, and you are happy to help add/correct it as necessary where it may be inaccurate.
- You can operate independently, but you know when you are in too deep and need to ask for help before going down a rabbit hole for days (or weeks!).
- You know how to work under pressure in times of urgency. We and our customers both take issues with their data platform seriously.
What you will need
- Experience deploying and running production databases and applications, preferably at scale.
- Working knowledge of Kubernetes.
- Working knowledge of one or more of the major cloud IaaS platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Experience with MySQL and SQL.
- Strong ability to communicate and deal directly with customers, whether in email, Slack, video conference, or in person.
- Programming experience. While you will not be programming full-time, the ability to pinpoint problems by navigating unfamiliar code, and potentially generate patches when necessary is required.
What else will help you be successful
- Knowledge of common application deployment platforms and frameworks. Our customers use all kinds of languages and frameworks to speak to the PlanetScale platform. While no-one can possibly be fluent with all of them, knowledge of a few can be super-useful.
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!