PlanetScale is growing rapidly and reinventing the database space. We have built the database for developers unlike any others – we kept the good parts of the relational database and left behind the baggage. Because our 'touch of the button' solutions are so unique, our customers choose to entrust us with what is often their most precious digital assets, so the stakes couldn't be higher.
Come join our dynamic, innovative and growing Legal team. The Legal team is being built right now as a collaborative team of in-house lawyers that proactively advises our business teams, assesses and mitigates legal risks, and provides guidance on global regulatory compliance requirements for numerous types of service offerings. Our goal is to serve as a strong voice providing advice and becoming integral to the teams on all phases of the product development life cycle.
To join us you will need great judgement and a strong understanding of the legal and business space to allow you to develop thoughtful strategies and processes towards product development while assessing and mitigating legal risk.
What’s the job to be done?
- You will advise on a range of compliance issues, regulations, and industry standards with a focus on privacy, consumer protection, and intellectual property.
- You will provide practical, business-savvy, legally sound proactive guidance.
- You will review products, features, and initiatives to provide advice consistent with our legal obligations in multiple jurisdictions.
- You will coordinate advice with cross-functional stakeholders, including Product, Engineering, Marketing, Finance and others.
- You will collaborate to create and improve product counseling processes and ensure business demands are satisfied.
- You will provide counsel on global market expansion and GTM strategies.
These attributes best describe you…
- This position is ideal for a self-starter interested in working at a high-tech startup, who recognizes the opportunity for exposure to a dynamic, innovative Legal team.
- You are highly organized and able to operate in ambiguous or changing situations
- You thrive in an environment of cross-department collaboration.
- You exhibit an entrepreneurial mindset, and start-up/dive-right-in mentality.
- You have a passion to lead programs that directly impact and enable our organization to drive higher levels of success.
- You want to work in a fast-moving rocketship, own and design programs, and make a significant impact on the success of the business.
- You demonstrate a keen eye for attention to detail and have a positive, go-getter attitude.
- You are a self-starting, enthusiastic individual who is willing to take innovative approaches and responsibility for outcomes.
What you will need
- You have 5-8 years of directly relevant legal experience; preferably at a law firm and in-house at a technology company.
- Demonstrated experience advising clients on cloud products/services.
- Substantial experience with Federal and State US and international laws, content policies, privacy, intellectual property, and consumer protection laws.
- Proven ability and drive to take ownership of projects and tasks which, in some cases, will be matters of first impression but with openness to adapting in response to a fluid and expanding product roadmap.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, business judgment, strategic thinking, superior work ethic, flexibility, and ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, adjust to rapidly changing priorities, and drive strategic projects to successful delivery.
- JD and admission to a state bar, or local equivalent that authorizes the practice of law.
- High level of comfort with technology.
- CIPP certification
What else will help you be successful
- Experience working in a remote organization
- Basic knowledge of open source development and communities
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!