PlanetScale is growing rapidly and reinventing the database space. We have built the database for developers unlike any others – we kept the good parts of the relational database and left behind the baggage. Because our 'touch of the button' solutions are so unique, our customers choose to entrust us with what is often their most precious digital assets, so the stakes couldn't be higher.
We have built a fully hosted database-as-a-service that allows developers and businesses to deploy new databases around the globe with just a few clicks and manages them with production grade workflows via an intuitive user interface. We take care of backups, restores, applying schema changes, and applying software patches while providing world class durability and availability guarantees. We call this PlanetScale Cloud.
PlanetScale is building our Support team. This is a great opportunity to help establish, scale, and develop a developer-focused support team. Day to day you’ll help on the support queue, submit improvements to PlanetScale and it’s documentation, collaborate with the engineering team, and most importantly be a trusted partner for our developer community and customers.
With this role, you will have the opportunity to work remotely from either EMEA or APAC.
What’s the job to be done?
- You will be responsible for our day-to-day direct to developer support. When there are questions you will find the answers, when there are problems you will help fix them.
- You will respond to, debug, and fix customer support issues via support tickets and our public discussion board.
- You will create or assist with the creation of materials/documentation for the developer support team.
- You will demonstrate to developers how to modify their queries and applications in order to enable them to use PlanetScale Cloud to its fullest.
- You will suggest and prioritize fixes and improvements for our engineering team.
- You will take part in a light on-call rotation.
These attributes best describe you…
- You are data-driven, team-oriented, and comfortable communicating across many audiences.
- You are highly organized and able to operate in ambiguous or changing situations.
- You thrive in an environment of cross-department collaboration.
- You want to own and design processes and programs, and make a significant impact on the success of the business.
- You are a self-starting, enthusiastic individual who is willing to take innovative approaches and responsibility for outcomes.
What you will need
- Experience with various application frameworks and their interactions with databases (ORMs, etc.). Our customers use all kinds of languages and frameworks to speak to PlanetScale. While no-one can possibly be fluent with all of them, knowledge of a few can be super useful
- Willingness to explore new languages and frameworks, as required, to be able to assist customers
- Knowledge of or experience with SQL, preferably MySQL
- Programming experience. While you will not be programming full-time, you will need to have the ability to find problems by reading and navigating unfamiliar code
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong sense of empathy and the ability to understand and advocate for your peers and customers
- Proficient in spoken and written English
What else will help you be successful
- Experience working in a remote organization
- Basic knowledge of open source development and communities
- Exposure to relational databases or software development
- Experience building organizations from the ground up
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!