PlanetScale is growing rapidly and reinventing the database space. We have built the database for developers unlike any others – we kept the good parts of the relational database and left behind the baggage. Because our 'touch of the button' solutions are so unique, our customers choose to entrust us with what is often their most precious digital assets, so the stakes couldn't be higher.
We believe that building a product developers love doesn’t just mean stacking up as many features as we can, but putting in the work to craft beautiful, functional, and powerful tools that people want to use.
That’s exactly what the Surfaces team does. This group builds and maintains a full-stack set of services that provide the API, Web UI, CLI and nearly every other customer-facing property that powers the PlanetScale product. This means a little bit of everything: crafting UIs that communicate complex database information in an easy-to-read way, understanding how users are consuming and integrating with PlanetScale, and building APIs and CLIs to match it all.
Leading the group that does all of this means growing and maintaining a broad set of skills across many disciplines. You may be scoping out the implementation of a complex Vitess feature on Tuesday, giving feedback on a brand new onboarding workflow on Wednesday, and ending the week chatting with a customer about how to ensure their team makes the most out of our branching workflow.
If this sounds like an interesting challenge, we have the job for you.
What's the job to be done?
- As a leader in a rapidly-growing company, no two days will look the same, but every one of them will be full of opportunities to make an impact.
- Your time will be split between empowering and serving the people working on the product, while forming relationships with the rest of PlanetScale leadership to craft the future of databases.
These attributes describe you...
- You have a drive for getting the best out of people by creating collaborative, creative and safe teams that are empowered to ship software
- You have an understanding of how to navigate a bit of chaos - we are a growing company, and you feel comfortable decreasing ambiguity and creating alignment
- You have a focus on creating products that people want to use - not just products that work, but something that is fun to use
- You create a high productivity, high autonomy environment that rewards excellent work and provides the tools and support to back it up. We don’t leave our teammates to fend for themselves, or send them on aimless expeditions
- You and your colleagues are committed to helping you achieve your potential, holding you accountable, and making sure that you always know where you stand.
- You value the growth and opportunity that comes with working at an early-stage, fast-paced startup. This doesn’t mean stress and overwork, but the opportunity to work in and around every function of the business, and learn from some of the best.
What you will need
- Significant experience in building, growing and running high-performing engineering teams
- A background in full stack web technologies (Ruby/Rails, React, etc) deployed at scale
- Experience working across multiple functions of the business, such as Support, Finance, Sales
- An eye for the details, we have discerning users, and we care deeply about the quality of the product we give to them
What else will help you be successful
- Experience working on or managing an all-remote team
- Exposure to relational databases at scale
- A knack for threading multiple disciplines to build a more successful product
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!