PlanetScale is growing rapidly and reinventing the database space. We have built the database for developers unlike any others – we kept the good parts of the relational database and left behind the baggage. Because our 'touch of the button' solutions are so unique, our customers choose to entrust us with what is often their most precious digital assets, so the stakes couldn't be higher.
PlanetScale is building the database for developers – we’re keeping the good parts of the relational database and leaving behind the baggage.
We build our platform on top of Vitess, built by our co-founders at YouTube and Google. We also provide enterprise support for customers running Vitess in their environment.
As a Developer Advocate at PlanetScale, your mission is to spark a revolution around the next great database, to stun developers with sophistication and tell a powerful story with your code.
At this early stage, you will have the mandate of wearing a lot of hats and managing your own projects and plan with both community and business value in mind.
What’s the job to be done?
- You will meet developers online, create media that excites developers, create unique demo apps and educate the masses.
- You will work with product and engineering to launch products and improve the developer experience.
- You will measure your impact both quantitatively and qualitatively and adjust course as needed.
- You will incite the next developer revolution for the first fully serverless developer database. We are inventing a new category of cloud database and we want developers to be as excited about it as we are!
These attributes best describe you....
- You find joy in serving the community and helping fellow developers get better at their jobs.
- You're an educator at heart who loves teaching developers.
- You're comfortable taking complex topics and making them accessible to developers of different experience levels.
- You enjoy speaking in front of groups of developers at conferences and meetups.You love finding ways to make developers' lives easier, regardless of the tool or framework.
- You listen to users and the community at large and use that feedback to improve ourselves and the product.
- You want to be an active contributor to the product feedback loop and advocate for users internally.
- You’re able and willing to travel 30% of your time to speak at events.You are a strong independent contributor, but you enjoy collaborating with teammates and multi-functional teams.
- You are comfortable learning multiple skills simultaneously and managing multiple projects at once.
- Your passion for technology inspires you to explore your curiosity; you love learning new things.
- You find a fast-paced, constantly iterative environment engaging and stimulating.
What you will need
- Prior experience as a software engineer, or web developer with exposure to a broad range of databases, platforms and technologies.
- Experience with public speaking and technical writing.
- Proficient in spoken and written English.
- Strong knowledge of open source development and communities.
What else will help you be successful
- Experience working on or managing an all-remote team
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience building organizations from the ground up
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!